Summer Pest Control Tips
Summer is upon us, and with it comes warmer temperatures–as well as many pests exiting their winter dormancy and looking for a good place to take up residence. Unfortunately for many people, that means their house, garage, or even their lawn or garden is at risk of infestation. This is why so many people (like your friends and neighbors) start thinking about Tampa pest control and removal during this time of year.
Among the most common types of pests that become more problematic in the summer are cockroaches, termites, fire ants, and a variety of flies. There are things homeowners can do, however, to prevent an infestation, both inside and outside of their home.
One of the best places to start is outside, where the pests are already looking to get into your home:
- Keep trees and bushes well-manicured to block any potential avenues for insect entrance–most particularly around possible openings such as cracks or around windows.
- Eliminate any instances of standing water, as insects will flock to it as a source of nourishment. Insects need water as much as we do. If there is nowhere to find it around your house, pests will look elsewhere.
- Pool owners should keep their pools clean and chlorinated. Unattended pools are a huge draw for insects, particularly mosquitoes.
There are also a number of steps you can take on the inside of your home to make it less attractive to pests:
- Keep your kitchen clean and free of crumbs and cooking debris–they provide hungry insects with a food source. This includes hidden areas, such as behind appliances.
- Vacuum all carpets regularly, paying special attention to corners and windows or sliding door tracks. Carpets can collect dander (skin particles) which attracts dust mites and other tiny insects.
- Repair any leaks as soon as they start. Leaks provide thirsty insects with water. The more water there is, the more pests you’ll have. Leaks can also lead to fungal growth. Your Tampa pest control experts can help you find the professionals you need.
Following these simple guidelines can help deter pest infestations before they start. Of course, even the cleanest houses can sometimes become the site of an infestation–when that happens, it’s best to call in the Tampa pest control professionals at Apex Pest Control. We can help you learn more about preventing infestations and remove any pests already in your house. Our goal is to help ensure that you and your family are safe from any insect threats in your home. If you have any questions, or suspect you may have a problem, call us to have a control specialist come out to your home to conduct a no-obligation inspection of your property.