Stop the Invasion! Keep Rodents Out of Your Home!
Some rodents are cute, fluffy and adorable and many people like to keep them in their home—on purpose! Mice, rats, guinea pigs or hamsters all make sweet little pets because they don’t carry or spread diseases. Besides the creepiness factor, wild rodents can make people sick, from causing allergic reactions with their droppings to carrying the deadly Hantavirus, to serving as a vector for salmonella when they bring bacteria to food sources, kitchen counters or silverware. Having wild rodents in the house is bad news. If you suspect you have them in your home, don’t delay, call the pest control experts at Apex Pest Control in Orlando, Tampa and Brevard County at 866-675-4070. We’ll get rid of them for you and offer ways to keep them from coming back. In the meantime, there are things homeowners can do to discourage the furry critters from moving in.
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of your house, paying special attention to where electrical wiring and water pipes come in and out. Without such precautions, you might just as well leave a key for them under the front mat.
- Trim tree branches and shrubbery that are close to the house. Not only does it offer a hiding place, it gives rodents something to climb on, so they can peek through your windows for a look around.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry. Fix any leaks promptly—thirsty rodents will go elsewhere for a drink of water.
- Store garbage in sealed containers in every room and dispose of it frequently.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles, both can provide easy access to entry points for rodents.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the basement foundation and windows. Remember, a mouse can get in through a hole as small as a dime and will do so if there are aromatic smells billowing out of it.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from the house and keep it at least five inches off the ground.
Always remember, rodents come into homes because they are looking for food and water. If there is a food source inside, such as open pantry items, pet food, crumbs on the floor or leftovers in waste baskets, rodents will gladly invite themselves in. And if there’s paper around or other suitable material, they’ll create a nest, start a family and make your house their permanent home.
Keeping your home free from rodents is important for the health and happiness of your family—to learn more about keeping them out or to seek help in getting rid of mice, rats, squirrels, opossums, bats or any other creature, call the pest control experts at Apex Pest Control in Orlando, Tampa and Brevard County at 866-675-4070. Making homes safe for the people who live in them is our business.