How to Wasp-Proof Your Property
Wasps are generally regarded as extremely dangerous pests that must be controlled with strong insecticides. Their role in nature may surprise you, though: wasps are extremely proficient pest eaters, ridding your property of mosquitoes and other insects, as well as spiders and other arachnids. When people inadvertently disturb a wasp’s nest, though, the circumstances can be painful or possibly life-threatening. For this reason, it is a good idea to follow the steps below brought to you by the Tampa pest control company, Apex Pest Control, to better understand wasps and how to prevent them from buzzing around your property.
- Yellow jackets are aggressive wasps that build nests hidden from view. Hornets are very aggressive wasps that build papery conical-shaped nests that usually dangle from tree branches. Mud daubers are fairly docile and build groupings of muddy, round spheres or cylindrical tubes anywhere they can find refuge. Cicada killers are sizeable predators that are only interested in cicadas. They are docile and live in holes in the ground.
- All these wasps have similar needs, which means preventing one species from invading your property will probably keep all wasps away.
- Don’t leave food uncovered outside. Keep compost piles far from your house, and tightly cover trashcans. Wasps are attracted to sweet odors, even perfumes, and lotions.
- Look around your home’s exterior and check for any gaps or crevices, which could be possible wasp homes.
- Wasp traps can be purchased or made with a two-liter soda bottle and sugar water. Wasps are able to enter the trap, but not escape.
If your yard is swarming with wasps, give the Tampa pest control company at Apex Pest Control a call at (866) 675-4070. Our team will inspect your home, outbuildings, and foliage for any signs of wasps, remove their nests and keep these predatory pests from returning.