Florida’s Summer “Pest Peeves”
Florida is renowned for its abundant summer sunshine and beautiful foliage. Both these aspects invite not only tourists, but unwanted insects and spiders as well. As an Orlando pest control company, we are in a constant state of war with the bugs in Florida. Listed below are the most remarkable “pest peeves” in Florida.
- Spiders – These shy arachnids look for shelter in your dark, cool, quiet house. As if their presence was not troublesome enough, they must eat. This traditionally involves web building in corners, across the backs of chairs, or any other convenient location where they believe their dinner will be caught.
- Houseflies – Outside, flies are one of nature’s greatest decomposers. They readily feast on garbage, decayed animal and vegetable matter, as well as other filth. Their next stop: your house. These pests are not only annoying, but they can also spread diseases such as dysentery, tuberculosis and typhoid
- Ants – Tiny and basically harmless (unless it is the dreaded fire ant) ants invade homes in search of food. Their choice of nutrition includes almost any substance left on any type of surface.
- Stinging insects – Bees, hornets, yellow jackets, and wasps are best left alone. Their sting usually occurs in self-defense, but they defend anything they believe is theirs, whether you own it or not. Most of these insects cause slight swelling and/or discomfort when they sting, but some people have a strong allergic reaction. For those individuals, the major health issues associated with the sting of any of these insects is enough to keep them indoors instead of enjoying Florida’s weather.
- Bed bugs – More active in summer, bed bugs are arachnids with a taste for human blood. Their nocturnal feeding habits have caused discomfort for thousands of years in Florida. In fact, the children’s bedtime rhyme of “Good night/Sleep tight/Don’t let the bedbugs bite” refers to the knotted bed frames of 200 years ago. The frames had to be hand-tightened for comfort, and then the thin mattresses shaken to remove the bedbugs.
While these insects and arachnids are manageable in small numbers, oftentimes the number you see is only a small portion of a much larger population living within the walls of your home. When you find your pest population exceeds your ability to control it, call Orlando pest control company Apex Pest Control at (866) 675-4070. Our trained professionals can assist in conquering your pest problem.