Cool Weather Pest-Proofing Tips
It seems like we’re actually experiencing fall weather in Florida this year! Unfortunately, humans aren’t the only ones to notice. Overwintering pests are getting ready to invade your home, looking for warmth and shelter. If you have any questions or concerns about how to protect your home during the cooler season, contact the experts at Apex Pest Control, we can offer Orlando pest control tips on how to keep bugs, rodents and other pests from coming in, or get rid of those that already have. In the meantime, here are a few tips for how to reduce your risk of attracting uninvited guests into your home this year:
- Store pet food in airtight containers and up off the ground. That includes the stuff in the bowl. Once your dog or cat has finished eating, pick it up and clean it as you would dishes for yourself. For a hungry pest, dog food is just as tasty as people food.
- Keep an eye out for pest entryways. Don’t neglect any holes or cracks in floorboards, walls or around vents or pipe fittings, especially around doorways, windows or in the bathroom and kitchen. A whole host of insects and rodents are looking for a warm place to ride out the winter–remember, rodents can fit through spaces as tiny as the size of a dime.
- Check new plants. Bringing plants into your home either from someone else’s house, or from the store can oftentimes mean bringing in bugs as well. Check your plants (and the soil they are in) carefully before giving them a spot in your home.
- Vacuum rugs often. Carpets and rugs can give both bugs (like fleas) and their eggs a place to hide. Use your vacuum to get rid of them and empty the bag in an outdoor bin.
- Clean your trash can. Make sure your trash receptacles are properly sealed and your countertops are clean and free of crumbs. Bugs and rodents are both attracted to the stuff that ends up in the trash can. If you don’t have one, buy an indoor can that can be sealed after each use. Also, avoid throwing biodegradable material in other trash cans in the house–that includes wrappers.
- Ensure your drainage system outside is in good shape. Pests need water as much as we do, don’t make your house inviting to them by allowing water to pool around your home. This means ensuring all gutters are free of debris and that there are no areas where water is able to collect.
Pests may seek the comfort of your home this fall and winter, but that doesn’t mean you have to be a welcoming home. Make your home less attractive and you’ll have fewer visitors. For more information on how to protect your home and our Orlando pest control services, Contact Apex Pest Control, we can fix any pest problem you may have and help prevent others from occurring in the future.