Common Illnesses Spread by Pests
Pests are not merely creepy crawlers that spook you in the night; they can also carry dangerous diseases and viruses. Florida, with its subtropical climate, is home to many pests known well to the tropical longitudes of the world. Fortunately, with proper management, by the Orlando pest control experts at Apex, most of these risks can be avoided and mitigated. Below are just a few of the more common and hazardous of illnesses that are transmitted by local pests.
- West Nile Virus: First noted in the U.S. in the late 90s, West Nile is a very dangerous virus carried exclusively by mosquitoes. Symptoms are flu-like in nature: chills, bodyache, fever, etc. This type of mosquito variety is the most common carrier in the Southeast. Recovery time can be long if one becomes infected.
- Yellow Fever: Another mosquito-borne illness, yellow fever is distinguished by muscle pains, fever, nausea, and, occasionally, abdominal pain. It can also turn the skin yellow, hence the name. This virus is of particular concern in both Africa and South America but is seen in any tropical climate.
- Lyme Disease: Transmitted by deer ticks, this is a very common disease with a wide variety of symptoms and associated disorders. The deer tick itself is rather common throughout the rural areas of the eastern seaboard.
- Cat Scratch Disease: A bacterial disease transmitted by fleas, but also passed by a cat scratch itself, after the cat has been infected from a flea. CSD (also known as Cat Scratch Fever) commonly shows itself by a swelling of the lymph nodes, and although most cases are rather benign, there is a rare sub development that causes significant neurological issues.
- Zika Virus: In the news due to its rapid onset in the tropical areas of the Americas, Zika is likely to spread to Florida soon enough due to a similar climate. It is carried by the Aedes mosquito (specifically), a day-flying mosquito that prefers indoor areas. Symptoms are flu-like. However, ongoing research is only now uncovering the extent to which a Zika infection can affect the body, from temporary paralysis to birth defects.
The good news is that all of the above diseases are conferred from pests that respond to management. Your Orlando pest control specialists at Apex have a variety of techniques and treatments available for your home or business to reduce and eradicate the pests carrying these viruses. Not to mention, tips and ideas for avoiding them. Feel free to call 866-675-4070 for more information and estimates.