When you’re experiencing a pest issue at your home, we understand it’s tempting to search for a do-it-yourself (DIY) solution. There are certain problems with DIY pest control that makes it a bad idea. What you really need is an expert on your premises to evaluate the situation, make recommendations for treatment options and professionally monitor and apply the treatment.
Here’s a look at some reasons why you should avoid DIY pest control at all costs:
- Surface applications are ineffective: Most DIY treatments require you to apply a pest control product to floors or countertops. In most cases, bugs and rodents either fail to pick up an effective does of the product as they walk across it or the product becomes ineffective before the encounter. In either case, the over-the-counter solution proves wholly ineffective.
- Killing on contact is a short-term solution: If and when a DIY product does work, it typically kills on contact. This is a short-term fix, but it does nothing to help your situation over time. When you kill on contact, the pests remaining have a chance to regroup and relocate. You need a pest control solution that kills at the source rather than just some on contact.
- Bugs are becoming more resistant: Over time, bugs and other pests are becoming more resistant to over-the-counter solutions. When you choose professional pest control, you’re choosing an expert who uses effective products known to zap pests and provide long-term solutions.
- Choosing and applying the right product is an art form: Different pest issues require different types of pest control products. On top of that, applying the right amount of product to the right space in your home can be tricky. In many cases, homeowners trying DIY solutions either choose the wrong product or apply it incorrectly — which does nothing to fix the root problem.
- Bug bombs are more popular than effective: One of the most common and popular DIY solutions is the bug bomb. Unfortunately, bug bombs are not effective at killing pests at the source. In fact, you’re more likely to spread bugs around your home after setting off a bomb than you are to kill them.
- Pest control chemicals need expert handling: Many over-the-counter pest control solutions contain chemicals that can contaminate your water supply, plants and even the air inside your home. When you opt for professional pest control vs. DIY, you get experts who know how to handle these chemicals in a non-threatening way.
Given the climate, bugs and pests never take a break in Florida. If you’re a Florida homeowner wondering why not to DIY pest control, consider the points made above — and then call the leading provider of pest control services in the Sunshine State. At Apex Pest Control, we offer a friendly, knowledgeable team that knows how to get results.
Contact us today to schedule an appointment for a free quote and avoid the problems with DIY pest control.