5 Tips to Help Avoid Pests This Summer
Insects and pests thrive in the summer, and so do we. Whether it’s outdoors, on vacation on a shore, or just sitting and enjoying the sun on the porch front, the places you want to be this summer are the very same pests are looking to be. But all is not lost: there are some simple and relatively carefree ways to keep bugs from ruining the long bright warm days of the summer. Below, we’ll walk you through five that we in the Brevard pest control field find most useful.
- Use Wind: Nature’s insect repellent. The wind would seem like a ridiculous way to take care of any problem in today’s technological and chemically based world, but don’t overlook it. It really does not take much of a breeze to completely deter small winged insects like mosquitoes. The key is setting up your outdoor summer celebration with this in mind: avoid enclosed areas, and try to be in zones that maximize the push of the wind. Setting up a proper airflow will help ventilation for tiki torches, citronella candles, and insect coils, as well.
- Minimize Moisture: Pests need and thrive on moisture, especially in the warm glow of the summer. If you have a high tree-line, try thinning it out a little to allow for a more forceful sunlight. And make certain to have any standing water, no matter how small (mosquito larvae can flourish in water sources as small as a plastic soda top), emptied out as often as possible. Take note of the places this water accumulation occurs frequently.
- Control Your Lawn: An unruly lawn might as well be a welcome mat for pests. Very long grass, in particular, acts as a habitat for ticks and can be a cover for many other creatures of the summer.
- Avoid Attractants: Pests come to your house for reasons that don’t include what you have on your DVR. Keep food exposure to a minimum, and all trash needs to be secured, and more importantly, well sealed. Camping rules, used while at home, can go a long way. Also, lights attract all manner of both pests and the bigger pests that eat pests. Bright white lights do so more than yellow or an alternate color. Or, simply turn them off when not outside.
- Pest Control: The final frontier. There’s only so much you can do to keep pests out of your hair for the summer. Fortunately, Brevard pest control can help in eliminating and managing pests at a professional level. When the little things fail, go with the big things.
So, these are just a few ideas that you can do practice in order to keep your summer on the lower side of the bug scale. But for more exact pest management, call Apex at 866- 675-4070. We offer a free no obligation quote and visit, and will always get back to you within 24 hours. Even in the summer.